No one likes salad in WINTER – let’s make a Keto-friendly Lasagna.
(Note this dish serves 8)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Cup grated carrots (110 g)
- 1 Medium diced onion
- 900g Ground beef/ mince meat
- 1 ½ Teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Black pepper and salt, to taste
- 4 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ Cup dry red wine (120 mL)
- 1 Tin chopped tomato,
- ½ Cup freshly chopped basil (20 g)
- 1 Large head cabbage, separate leaves and trim stem
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups whole milk ricotta cheese (500 g)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the carrot and onion, and cook until the vegetables have softened slightly, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the beef and season with toregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red wine.
- Once the wine has reduced by half, stir in the chopped tomatoes. Cook until sauce has thickened, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, then remove the sauce from the heat and let cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Working in batches, add the cabbage leaves, using tongs to submerge them in the water. Cook until the leaves have softened and are flexible. Drain well and pat dry with a paper towels.
- Stir the beaten egg into the cooled meat sauce.
- Place the largest cabbage leaf on the bottom of a 23cm round baking dish. Line the exposed sides and bottom of the pan with more cabbage leaves.
- Spoon in approximately ¼ of the meat sauce, spreading evenly. Add some of the ricotta on top of the sauce. Cover with cabbage leaves. Repeat with the remaining sauce, ricotta, and cabbage to make 3 more layers.
- Fold any overhanging cabbage leaves toward the center of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour, or until lightly browned on top. Allow the lasagna to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and serve.