Ageing is something we all have to deal with. However, the question is whether or not we will age gracefully. Luckily, there are ways in which one can take care of your skin and ensure that you age as gracefully as possible. In this article, we will discuss the skin cell renewal process and explain how one can best ensure that your skin remains healthy and appear youthful.
How Long Does it Take for Face Skin Cells to Renew?
Depending on your age, your skin will take more or less time to renew itself. In babies, for example, it takes only 14 days for the skin to renew itself; however, in adults skin is known to renew itself every 28 to 42 days. This process once again slows down to around 84 days by the time one reaches the age of 50. Therefore, the older you get, the longer it takes for your skin to repair and replace damaged skin cells. This is partly what causes our skin to age.
While there are external factors, such as sun damage, that contribute to one’s skin ageing faster or slower, one’s genetics also plays a vital role. As with everything, your genetics determine your predisposition to the visible ageing process.
How to Renew Skin Cells on the Face
Even though genetics do play a large role in the ageing process, there are external factors that can either increase or decrease the ageing process and help your skin to remain fresh, supple, and healthy.
- Sunscreen: The UV rays that our skin is exposed to on a daily basis can be damaging to our skin. From sunburn to a heightened risk of skin cancer, and an increased rate of ageing, it is important to protect your skin from the sun by making use of a high-quality sunscreen.
- Exfoliation: It is good to exfoliate your skin regularly and remove any dead skin cells. this will reveal the new and fresh skin underneath. You can either make use of a scrub or chemical exfoliant to do this.
- Diet: As with everything, diet is extremely important to the health of your skin. Make sure you eat lots of healthy foods that are high in antioxidants and vitamins. This will ensure that you are nourishing your skin from the inside. It is also advisable to include a lot of water in your diet as this will help keep your skin hydrated and assist in skin cell renewal.
- Sleep: It is very important to get enough sleep as this is the time in which our skin cells renew themselves. Without it, your skin doesn’t get the chance that it needs to recuperate. It is advisable to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Your liver and lungs aren’t the only organs that suffer when you smoke and drink alcohol. Smoking and drinking can also impact your skin and age it faster than what is necessary. These substances can actually cause damage to your skin cells and slow down their natural renewal process.
- Personalised Skincare: While we all know that moisturiser and some retinol can do amazing things for your skin, all of our skin types are different. It is therefore important to invest in a personalised skincare routine and products. To do this, it is best to have a genetic test done that specifically tests for your skin’s genetic makeup. One can then devise the best skincare routine that is based on scientific and medical information.
Contact Geneway to find out about our at-home genetic test known as GENERENEW and see how you can best take care of your skin and beat the signs of ageing.